Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Waiting Game

It's been awhile since my last post and I have some follow up thoughts to share, but not right now - maybe not for another month or so.

Amy, I do remember you! And I'm glad you tracked me down somehow :-)

Right now, we've begun to wait in earnest for our little peanut to arrive. For many reasons, I thought our baby would come before February. I even had a theory about "evacuation weight" - the body can only handle so much baby weight before ejecting the baby out. Well, that theory has gone down the toilet - Baby Donner weighs 7- 7 1/2 lbs. right now and my body is handling it pretty well. As one of the midwives said, she is just fattening up now.

And so the full moon came and went, as did last weekends mini snow, and no baby. We have everything ready for the baby and have for the past few weeks. We've been trying most of the tricks to get labor going, but we both know that the baby won't come until she's ready.* And for the most part, we are okay waiting, despite desperately wanting to finally see and hold our baby for the first time.

Things I will never say to a nine month pregnant woman again: "Waiting to hear that you're in labor!", "Do you feel anything changing today?", "I think you'll go at least a week over, maybe two."

We have names narrowed down to three and a middle name picked out. Before you ask, we probably won't tell you before the baby comes - nothing personal, it's just easier that way. But to my grandmother who likes to ask regularly, "Are you even thinking about a name?," the answer is "yes."

And so I'm sure the next couple weeks will be the same, at least until the baby comes - hoping that labor will start in the middle of the night, assuming it won't during the day and distracting ourselves with movies, board games, fun outings and anything else to take our mind off of the waiting.

Here are some pictures from the past couple weeks:

one of my faves

henna thanks to the wonderful michelle and many other friends

four generations

justin's baby bump - 9 mos.
my baby bump - 9 mos.


*if one more person tells me to eat spicy food, i might scream. i have an even higher tolerance to spice since pregnancy began - it will not suddenly send my body into labor.

6 comments:

Arden said...

aww, rose. that picture of you with the antlers is fantastic. i can't think of anything else to say that won't be annoying! i can give you a list of bad/fluffy movies i've downloaded illegally and watched recently:

up in the air
the princess and the frog
it's complicated
four christmases
couples retreat
post grad
whip it
up
fantastic mr fox

and remind you, once more, that 'arden' could work for a girl OR a surprise boy! :)

lara said...

Like Arden, I can not think of anything to say that would not be annoying:) But if you ever feel like talking, I am here. In fact I think this snow storm will be keeping a lot of us indoors this weekend! So give me a ring if you need to vent. I love remembering back to those days of waiting for my girls to arrive. ps- i love your henna! are you sure justins' isn't a beer bumb rather than a baby bump?

becca said...

you probably already know these pressure points, but I figured I'd try to annoy you with my vast knowledge of how to have a baby (from all my years of experience doing so, naturally)...

- Highest point of the muscle on the shoulder (right near where your shoulder meets your neck) - press down with thumbs (concentrated pressure, not massaging)
-Area between pointer finger and thumb - massage it.
- wrists - massage them
- ankles - massage them
- baby toe - hold it
- bottom outside of knee cap, in the little dip that your knee cap/leg naturally creates - press or massage
- lower back - have justin massage

:) Love you!!!

Diane said...

Hey Rose, Anxiously waiting to hear that our best buds are finally grandparents, and loving your blog. You know what's even more annoying than all those "pre-birth" comments? It's when people see you after the baby comes and they say "When are you gonna have that baby?" Hopefully you will never experience that one. Hehe. Diane

Caren said...

I'm with Diane! The "When are you expecting?" comments when you're NOT pregnant are even worse! And just wait for all the, "You're STILL nursing?" comments... (I got those when Clara was only about 6 months old. By the time she was 3 people finally shut up!)

Anyway, thinking about you and sending you happy baby vibes!

Amy said...

Oh the joys of the last days of pregnancy :) Just when you don't think your belly could get any bigger...it does. I hope that this little sweetheart doesn't make you wait to much longer.

I am glad I found your blog (coincidentally I found it through following links off another blog). I enjoy reading along with the spiritual experience of others. Especially people that might share some common doubts/beliefs (which is rare to find around here).

I look forward to reading more in the future, although I expect a delay with the (hopefully soon) arrival of your baby.

Cute pictures!!