Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Lenten Reflections

Having grown up Catholic, I'm familiar with the discipline of fasting from something during this season before Easter. I have given up things like chocolate only to find myself hidden in my room at least once, alone with a bag of Mini Eggs. I have taken up disciplines of reading certain books and trying to exercise regularly. But I've slowly come to realize that Lent is not about denial and sacrifice so that we can get closer to God. And it's certainly not a reminder that we are going to die - I don't think I've met a person over the age of 25 who doesn't realize their own mortality. Instead, the season of Lent is about creating an awareness of everything that is around us, including both suffering and joy; it's about the awareness that God is all around us. And that She is there in the suffering and has suffered Herself, both divinely and incarnately.

An old camp leader of mine posted a blog about Lent today and says this:

It's the fear of being stuck, of becoming blind to the spiritual reality all around me, that has prompted me to decide to observe Lent this year. I can give all sorts of personal reasons why I will be fasting from alcohol for the next 40 days--the money, the calories, the fear of addiction--but really, it's because disrupting my own habits provides an opening for God's grace. Really, it's the hope that one small change will open my eyes.

I love this working understanding of Lent: that when we step out of our routines, we become more vulnerable and more ready to receive grace, not just from God, but from others and even ourselves. Hopefully through that, we will be able to love more and clearly see what is around us.

I'm not purposefully taking up a discipline or giving something up. Instead my routine will be interrupted by new motherhood. I am confident that our daughter will open my eyes to the divine all around, to the grace that I need to give myself and to the grace I'll need from others, including our peanut. Perhaps I'll pick up Julian of Norwich (my Lenten go to), but maybe I won't.

On a side note, our church's Lenten series is on the themes from Persepolis, the One Book, One Philadelphia pick for the year. Hopefully, we won't miss too many weeks because I'm really looking forward to this!

1 comment:

Amy said...

I always forget how much I love lent until it arrives. Even the season, the late dead winter, is reflective backdrop for this time of sacrifice/contemplation.

This year, I am not taking anything away but rather adding to my routine. I am drawing my inspiration from a teaching I just heard about the narrow gate being a path that we will miss if we aren't looking for it (very simplified) and how one "Yes" (towards any goal) can equal a thousand no's. My goals are spiritual, so it seems fitting.

In solidarity during this lent season: May the peace of the Lord be with you!

Hopefully, the next post will have baby pictures. I will add you to my morning prayers.