Wednesday, April 15, 2009

on Thirst and Fig Leaves

Remember that guy I had a crush on - Gene Robinson? Well today I came across this sentence in his book, In the Eye of a Storm, and I had to share it.

"It's time we took off the fig leaves of guilt and ran around the Eden of our relationships with God, forgiven, naked and free."

How great is that?!?

Caren reminded me that April is National Poetry Month, so in honor, here is one by Mary Oliver from Thirst:

When the Roses Speak, I pay Attention

"As long as we are able to
be extravagant we will be
hugely and damply
extravagant. Then we will drop
foil by foil to the ground. This
is our unalterable task, and we do it
joyfully.”

And they went on. “Listen,
the heart-shackles are not, as you think,
death, illness, pain,
unrequited hope, not loneliness, but

lassitude, rue, vainglory, fear, anxiety,
selfishness.”

Their fragrance all the while rising
from their blind bodies, making me
spin with joy.

No comments: