Sunday, August 2, 2009

Put the needle to the yarn

For the past month, I was having a hard time believing in the second trimester transformation. The magical day when all of a sudden morning sickness would stop, energy would return at lightening speed, and maybe, just maybe, I'd want to eat yummy food again. But it's happening - I can feel it more and more every day.

Exhibit A: Indian, Thai, and Ethiopian food all in a week. And an Everything bagel.

Exhibit B: I'm still awake at 1 in the morning and only took a short nap today. It's like I'm on a caffeine drip, but really it's just that my energy is not being completely sucked away by changing hormones.

After waking up at 7:30 (on a Saturday morning), Justin and I went out for a fast food breakfast and then on to get my end of the first trimester/ a month of battling insurance and car registrations/ I'm carrying his spawn and I've been sick and tired for two months presents. We came home with a steam mop and knitting needles.

The steam mop is amazing - no chemicals, just add water, plug it in and mop away. It lets out steam as you push the mop and somehow cleans the floors. It's eco-friendly as well as baby/pet/human friendly. This led to an afternoon of sweeping and taking turns mopping the different rooms in our house (we don't have any wall-to-wall carpet, just a couple area rugs). What can be more fun?

Knitting, perhaps. I hadn't picked up the needles in at least two years, but I found a pattern for the first of many pixie/gnome hats. I wanted to knit a trial one to practice all of my forgotten skills. It's my first knitting pattern and I'm loving it. It's also the most complicated thing I've attempted with yarn (I've only done scarves and ear warmers in the past). But look how cute. And here's a more modern glimpse at the pattern. I know at least one other baby girl who will recieve one this September (if all goes smoothly).

I am thoroughly enjoying my late night escapades while Chelsea, Bandit and Justin sleep. The streets are fairly quiet and I'm in love with the silent night energy.

1 comment:

adiaspeer said...

what's the mop you got? sounds like just what i need!