Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Boat Skirt

This morning at the fabric store I picked up some shirting fabric that I thought would make a perfect skirt. Two tries later, I have what I was going for. This is the first piece of clothing I've ever made. I went for an easy elastic waist band and the shortcut way to finish edges and hem. The first try ended up in a skirt fitting my waist but not my hips (dang those child bearing hips - trouble all the time). So for the second try, I just used selvage to selvage and added the elastic. The waistband leaves a little to be desired - I'm not sure what needs to happen though. It just seems plain and poufy - let me know if you have any ideas. Otherwise, I LOVE the fabric - stripes and the kind of cotton that just looks crisp but feels soft.

the best picture i could get

why yes, that is an amazing sail boat appliqué

I also picked out some batting for our quilt, some awesome hand quilting thread, a stamp, and some fat quarters. It was just what I needed for today.

6 comments:

andreaferich said...

omg, that's one of the cutest skirts i've ever seen. u are so ready to become a first matie.

Caren said...

Hi Rose! I was just getting caught up on your blog, and have to say that I LOVE all the craftiness happening in your life, especially the new skirt! Dave got my sewing machine serviced for Mother's Day, and while I haven't given it a run yet, I look forward to cranking out some cute summer clothes for Miss Clara soon. It looks like you had a great Memorial Day weekend, and I SO know what you mean about being lost without your hubby. Love to you both from NH.
Caren
PS: When can you come and camp in our lawn??? :)

sanityseeker said...

rose!! i am so proud of you!! it's super cute and good for you for doing it twice to get it right!!

sarah said...

I love it! It makes me happy people are making their own clothes. I use to always be made fun of for wearing homemade stuff.

If you want something with more form I suggest using a pattern. I know the cool thing now is to sew without patterns but they will help you understand form and fit. I've been sewing since i was 4 and always start with a pattern or two and then combine/change/meander from them.

sarah said...

I realized you won't know who I am Sarah is Sarah Pavelko (cec's friend that stayed with you);)!

Rosabelle said...

Andrea: thanks.

Caren: I'm glad you're catching up. Yours is one of my blogspirations :-) Justin and I would love to come camp out sometime this summer. Let's make it happen.

Marni: your jeans make me feel like anything is possible.

Sarah: Ahh! I'm so glad you left your last name. With all the Sarahs in the world, it would have taken me awhile to narrow it down. I will definitely try a pattern sometime soon and let you know how it goes. Are you coming through Philly anytime soon?