Thursday, May 28, 2009

Zombie Flowers

I'm really looking forward to reading this book over the summer. I'm usually much more into Vampires, but after hearing Seth Grahame-Smith on NPR today, I'm sold. He basically preserves Austen's writing, but adds Zombie slaying into the story. Mr. G-S read a paragraph today and it sounded clever and humorous with a twist of the undead.

In other news, we spent the morning at the Morris Arboretum. Now that the flowers are in bloom, I'm even more in love with this place than I was a few months ago. There is a train area with a lighthouse theme. The lighthouses are tastefully handmade out of wood and there are several different tracks weaving through this village.

train tracks

duck at the pond




But this is my favorite: a little fairy house built by Patrick Dougherty, an artist-in-residence at the arboretum. He makes these houses out of sticks found in the local area. The inside is a cross between a spiral and a maze, ending with a tiny little room in the center. I'm in absolute love.

fairy house 1

fairy house 2


July 4th, the Treehouse exhibit opens. I can't even wait.

update: if anyone wants to take awesome pictures of me and justin at the arboretum so we can have a great portrait of ourselves, i'd love to work out some kind of barter. let me know :-) (is that vain?)

4 comments:

becca said...

I'll take awesome pictures of you and justin!!!!! ;)

andreaferich said...

um uuuuuhhh. i want to go to the treehouse exhibit.

susie said...

I love that place! I have a membership and I try get there often! (Perhaps I could help you out in the portrait department!)

cassie haw said...

ok, post something now. had a great time with you today! :)